- volunteers honey creek flow Volunteers measuring flow in Honey Creek, a tributary of the Huron River.
- Flow Measurements HRWC volunteers take flow measurements in a very similar manner to the method used by the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
- volunteers monitoring allens creek Volunteers Magda H and Mike C grab a bucket sample from Allens Creek for the Middle Huron Monitoring Program
- Volunteer Tom W, ready for sampling Volunteer Tom W, ready for sampling
- Taking water quality measures Volunteers taking water quality measures
- Volunteer measuring flow in Wayne County Volunteer measuring flow in Wayne County
- Jeff and Nate sampling Woods Creek Jeff and Nate sampling Woods Creek
- Volunteer Howard B, having fun Volunteer Howard B, taking a break from sampling
Help us measure the water quality!
Registration for Water Quality Monitoring is full for 2014. HRWC has many other volunteer opportunities available, however. Please go to the main volunteer page and look at what we have to offer. If you are still interested in water quality monitoring, read through this page and contact Lauren Burns (firstname.lastname@example.org) to find out if there is room to include you.
WHAT: We need your help to measure the quality of our river and streams this spring and summer! Aside from collecting water samples, you will learn to measure stream flow and sample runoff from rain storms. You must first attend a training on the field techniques in a hands-on workshop. Then, we will form teams to based on interest and availability. No prior knowledge is necessary. We especially need volunteers willing to work in Livingston and Wayne Counties, and in streams west of Ann Arbor.
WHERE: Classroom training took place in March. Hands-on training is taking place in April in the field during the first week of sampling.
SAMPLING SITES: One or more stream sites in Washtenaw or Wayne Counties.
WHEN: Sampling commitment is 2 or more hours per month April through September, depending on availability and interest.
NEXT STEP: First time volunteers, please fill out the basic information form and the registration form. Returning volunteers, please fill out the registration form only.