We need your help to find creatures living in a river, measure the speed of stream flow, join a team in listing the variety of plants in beautiful natural areas and more. No training required for some activities; others offer training. Everything is free. Choose from the opportunities below.
First Step if You are New
Calendar of Events
See the HRWC Event Calendar to find dates of volunteer opportunities.
- River Roundup: Volunteer teams find insects and other creatures each Fall and Spring.
- ID Day: River scientists help volunteers ID the creatures found in the River Roundup.
- Stonefly Search: In January, volunteer teams find stoneflies in high quality streams.
- Leader/Collector Training: HRWC trains volunteers to lead the teams in the Roundup.
Clean Up and Maintenance:
- Huron River Clean up: Spring and summer. Pick up trash in and around the Huron River.
- Adopt-a-Storm Drain: Keep storm drains near your home clear of leaves and debris.
- To set up a clean up contact Jason Frenzel: firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Areas and Plants (Biodiversity Program):
- Field Assessments: Spring and summer. Join volunteer teams to perform field assessments on the bioreserve sites.
- Plant ID experts needed: Spring and summer. If you are experienced in plant identification, we especially need your help on the field assessments!
Hydrology and Water Quality:
- Water Quality Sampling: Collect water samples from stream sites twice per month, April through September.
- Flow Measurement: Periodically measure stream flow at stream sites, April through September.
- Storm Runoff Sampling: Help set up and collect water samples before and after storms, April through September.
- Road Salt Sampling: Collect water samples which will be tested for sodium and chloride, year around.
- Measuring and Mapping: In August, volunteer teams map and measure stream habitat.
SUDS on the the RIVER
Held annually in September, and featuring the micro-brews of the watershed and several favorite local restaurants, we always need help making this annual fundraiser happen. Contact Margaret Smith at 734-769-5123 x 605 or at email@example.com.
Help in the office
HRWC occasionally needs help in data entry tasks or other light clerical work. If interested in volunteering in the office, please email Jason Frenzel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Volunteer Waiver Form
HRWC asks all volunteers to fill out the this waiver before they participate.