Fleming CreekIn 1824 Robert Fleming built one of the first mills on the Huron River system – a sawmill on what is now known as Fleming Creek, near the Botanical Gardens. This set the stage for Fleming and the Huron being an important source of power for the first European settlements in this area. Since that time the creekshed has supported agriculture, several gravel pits, and numerous parks. In recent years, the number of homes has increased substantially and several large research facilities, medical facilities, and golf courses have been built.

Located northeast of Ann Arbor,  Fleming Creek meets the Huron River just east of US-23. Ann Arbor, Fleming CreekNorthfield, Salem, and Superior Townships; the City of Ann Arbor; UM Matthaei Botanical Gardens; Washtenaw County Parks; and the Washtenaw County Water Resources Commission are all major decision makers and landowners in the creekshed. Fleming Creek is also greatly influenced by the residential landowners of the area.

Fleming Creek is composed of 48 miles of branching stream channels, and it drains 31 square miles of land. The creek’s average slope is 16 feet per mile, which is on par for the Huron River as a whole. The west branch of Fleming is much steeper, averaging 31 feet per mile. A stream with this high slope will typically have well established riffle-pool sequences and excellent diversity in fish habitat and water flow.

There are 6 lakes greater than 10 acres in the Fleming Creekshed. The biggest, Frain Lake, is 17 acres. The creekshed holds 119 ponds (lakes less than 10 acres).

HRWC Documents