Cleanups are held every spring and autumn.
Saturday, May 16, 2015 – Ypsilanti
Cleanup from 9am to Noon. Meeting location will be sent to registrants (near Depot Town). After party will run from Noon to 2pm at Riverside Park. Register by emailing Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, August 15, 2015 – near Flat Rock and Milford
Save the date! Details coming online soon.
Please set aside these days to help the Huron, collect trash, meet and greet, trade stories and information, and generally enjoy a day on the river.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS…
Pick a section of the river. Start whenever you like, work in a team or alone, with a canoe/boat or on foot (waders generally preferred) and some heavy duty trash bags and gloves.
If you need watercraft. We are sometimes able to provide a limited number of canoes. For those needing a watercraft you must email Jason in advance at: email@example.com. Watercraft pickup locations TBD between 8 and 10am.
HELPFUL HINTS: Cleanup volunteers need to provide their own gear to collect the river trash. Although HRWC has some trash bags and gloves and grabbers they are limited. It helps if you have your own gear.
Items to bring along:
- Waders, aqua shoes, sunscreen, canoe, kayak, life jackets, or rowboat
- Gloves to protect your hands
- Long handle or stick with a hook on it or a nail for spearing trash or retrieving it from the bottom
- HEAVY DUTY trash bags (stronger than the average household use bags)
- HRWC will have some trash bags but if you have your own please bring them
- Polarized sunglasses for spotting trash on the bottom
After party: We often have a potluck/BBQ after the cleanups, please join us!.)
Sponsored by: HRWC, DEQ, KEEN, REI, Ann Arbor Trout Unlimited, Huron River Fly Fishing Club, Schultz Outfitters, Huron-Clinton Metropolitan Authority, Skips Canoe Livery.