Adoption of storm drains can really help your community as a whole. Keeping storm drains clear and clean keeps our water ways clear, decease our drinking water safe and our community cleaner as a whole.
Anyone can adopt a stormdrain!
- Property and home owners
- Conservation organizations
- Scouting programs
- College students
- Concerned citizens
The Adopt-A-Stormdrain program will provide you with:
A kit for check-out that contains any tools or equipment you may need.
- Stormdrain marking/stenciling kit
- Rake, shovel, dustpan
- Trash bags
- Safety vest
- Educational resources
- An inspection checklist
How to take care of your adopted storm drain:
- Label storm drain clearly with inlet marker or stencil provided to you.
- Remove and dispose of leaves and garbage from the drain opening weekly (April through December).
- Leaves and sticks can be composted or bagged for pick-up by your community compost program.
- Recyclables and garbage should be disposed of through your recycling and garbage collection programs.
- Call respective authorities to report problems with drain, if drain appears;
- Or not working in any other way.
- Call 800-922-4706 if there is;
- Illegal dumping
- Make sure to keep the Adopt-A-Storm drain updated of your efforts and how your adopted storm drain is holding up!
- Illegal dumping
Take care that you DO NOT:
- Remove the grate from the drain opening.
- Remove dead animals. Instead call animal control.
- Remove hazardous materials like syringes. Call 9-1-1 to notify.
- Leave bags with raked leaves near the drain.
- Complete HRWC’s First Time Volunteer Form if you have never worked with HRWC
- Submit our Adopt-A-Stormdrain Sign Up Form (include the location of your stormdrain)
- Get confirmation from HRWC along with instructions and resources
- Once your adoption is confirmed, give us a status update on how your stormdrain(s) is doing
Adopt-A-Stormdrain Further Resources
- Find available program forms (sign up, reporting, request for supplies, release/waiver) HERE!
- Report your Adoption! After you work on your stormdrain, tell HRWC that you did it.