This page is for use by representatives of the Middle Huron Stormwater Advisory Group (SAG). The SAG is a watershed-based group of local municipalities and agencies within the middle section of the Huron River Watershed. This section lies mostly within Washtenaw County, extending from Portage Lake downstream to the French Landing Dam, which forms Belleville Lake. The SAG works to coordinate and implement best management practices to improve the quality and regulate volume from stormwater. Current SAG members include:
- Washtenaw County Water Resources Commissioner
- Washtenaw County Road Commission
- City of Dexter
- City of Ann Arbor
- Pittsfield Township
- City of Ypsilanti
- Ypsilanti Township
- Village of Barton Hills
- Eastern Michigan University
- Ann Arbor Public Schools
This page contains links to the following:
- Upcoming and past meeting agendas
- Regulatory documents and other submittals
- Other group products
When: December 10, 2015 @ 1:00 PM
Past Meeting Agendas
If you are looking for older agendas, please contact Ric Lawson.
Stormwater Management Documents
If you are looking for appendices for the 2013 Progress Report, or other progress reports, please contact Ric Lawson.
2013 Permit Application
The SAG developed the following documents for submittal of NPDES permit applications that were due April 1, 2013:
- Public Participation Plan
- Collaborative Public Education Plan (PEP) and PEP Table
- Illicit Discharge Elimination Program MOU
- TMDL Implementation Statement
Under the 2008 Watershed Permit, the SAG submitted the following watershed documents:
- The Public Participation Plan (pdf) July 30, 2010
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Initiative (SWPPI) documents
- The SWPPI_template (doc). January 29, 2010
- SWPPI Activity Tables for Huron and non-Huron areas (xls) January 28, 2010
- An Alternative TMDL Plan (pdf) March 15, 2010
- TMDL Plan Appendices (pdf, 3.3 MB) January 29, 2010
- Public Education Plan (PEP) (doc) June 11, 2010
- PEP Activity Table (xls) June 11, 2010
- The Watershed Management Plan for the Middle Huron can be downloaded (#7 on the linked page) and reviewed. Public comments are accepted anytime (send to Ric Lawson), and a review workshop will be scheduled soon.
TMDL Implementation Plans
Following are the final TMDL Implementation Plans that were submitted to Michigan DEQ on October 31, 2011.
- Malletts Creek – Biota
- Swift Run – Biota
- Ford and Belleville Lakes – Phosphorus
- Huron River (Argo to Geddes) – Bacteria
Water Quality Monitoring
Water quality sampling has been conducted in the Middle Huron River Watershed since 2002. The most recent comprehensive report and data summary presentation is below:
- 2014 Middle Huron Monitoring Presentation
- 2013 Middle Huron Monitoring Report
- 2012 Water Quality Monitoring Report
- 2011 Water Quality Monitoring Report
Public Education Materials
Contact: Pam Labadie, (734) 769-5123 x 602, HRWC Marketing Director, for info on HRWC’s I&E Program or any of the materials identified below.
Scoop Poop In March Materials — For use by SAG members.
- Scoop Poop Tip Card (pdf)
- Scoop Poop Poster (pdf)
- Pet Waste Fact Sheet (pdf)
- Ann Arbor Observer Ad, March 1/4 page (pdf)
- Additional Ads and Web Graphics (pdf)
- H2O Heroes Scoop Poop Webpage (link)
Newsletter Inserts — For use by SAG members. One-page (8.5 x 11″) seasonal newsletter articles on NPS prevention or watershed education topics for community newsletters, websites, and email alerts.
Ads — Placed seasonally in local print and online publications. Topics correspond to the monthly tip or message in the Watershed Community Calendar and are available in custom sizes and formats upon request. H2O Hero theme.
- January/Tap Into Savings/Water Conservation (pdf)
- February/Report Jerks/Illegal Dumping (pdf)
- March/Scoop Poop/Pet Waste (pdf)
- April/Use Only Phosphorus-Free/Fertilizer (pdf)
- May/Plant Michiganders/Native Plants, Rain Barrels (pdf)
- June/Know Toxics/Home Toxics Disposal (pdf)
- July/Do It On The Grass/Pet Waste (pdf)
- August/Sprinkle When the Sun Don’t Shine/Water Conservation (pdf)
- September/Watch Runoff/General Stormdrain Awareness (pdf)
- October/Mulch More/Fall Leaf Disposal (pdf)
- November/Don’t Flush/Prescription Disposal (pdf)
- December/Salt Less/River Friendly Snow Removal (pdf)
H2O Heroes Page, www.hrwc.org/h2oheroes — The published URL for HRWC’s Take Action pages with homeowner tips and tools.
2016 Watershed Community Calendar
- Huron River Watershed 2016 Community Calendar (pdf, 3 MB low res screen version)
- Ideas for Distributing the 2016 Calendar (pdf)
- 2016 Calendar Cover (jpeg)
- About the Calendar (hrwc.org blog)
Adopt-A-Stormdrain Program Web Page — Public website and program materials.
Watershed Community Survey Page — November 2012 Report of survey results and appendices.
Other Public Education Resources:
Stormwater Training for Restaurant Employees, a flash video from Project Clean Water, San Diego, CA.
Ford Lake Natural Shoreline Demonstration Project
A project has been approved by the SAG to restore a small section of Ford Lake shoreline to illustrate stormwater-friendly bioengineering techniques for shoreline protection. The project was implemented in partnership with the Michigan Natural Shoreline Partnership. Site installation took place on May 3, 2010. Below are project summary documents: