The Livingston Watershed Advisory Group (WAG) is a collaborative membership group that was originally formed to develop watershed management plans for the Huron Chain of Lakes and Upper Shiawassee River watersheds in Livingston County. The plans describe current conditions of natural resources and land use impacts, explore existing and future threats to the river systems, and prescribe actions for protection and restoration. The WAG now meets to discuss ways to implement activities that were recommended by those plans. They are also interested in adding the Red Cedar River watershed.
Agenda (to be developed)
Past Meeting Agendas
December 5, 2012 (joint stormwater meeting)
Documents and Information
Watershed Management Plans
The Livingston WAG has developed several planning documents to guide its work to protect and improve water resources in the watershed. The current plan for generally managing stormwater is below:
In addition to that overarching plan, targeted plans were developed to focus on phosphorus management in two subwatersheds. Following are final TMDL Implementation Plans that were delivered to DEQ on October 31, 2011.
Water Quality Monitoring
The Livingston WAG provided support for monitoring of water quality parameters at sites throughout the Huron Chain of Lakes Watershed starting in 2008 and continuing through 2012 with additional support from a Michigan DEQ grant. The resulting data is analyzed and summarized in the following reports:
- 2008-11 Huron Chain of Lakes Monitoring Report
- 2012 Huron Chain of Lakes Monitoring Report
Phase II Compliance Documents
The MS4s, in partnership with the Washtenaw Stormwater Advisory Group (SAG), is working to develop the following documents for submittal of NPDES permit applications due April 1, 2013:
- Collaborative Public Education Plan (PEP) and PEP Table
- Other shared procedures or planning documents
Under the 2008 Watershed Permit, the SAG submitted the following watershed documents:
- Public Participation Plan (pdf)
- SWPPI Template Instructions (pdf)
- SWPPI Template (MS Word doc)
- SWPPI Action Table (Table 3) (MS Excel xls)
Public Education Materials
Contact: Pam Labadie, (734) 769-5123 x 602, HRWC Marketing Director, for info on HRWC’s I&E Program or any of the materials identified below.
Watershed Community Survey Page – the November 2012 Report of survey results and appendices.
Newsletter Inserts — For use by WAG members. One-page (8.5 x 11″) seasonal newsletter articles on NPS prevention or watershed education topics for community newsletters, websites, and email alerts.
Advertisements – Placed seasonally in local print and online publications such as the Ann Arbor Observer, Ann Arbor Journal, Ann Arbor Observer, Ypsilanti Courier, Dexter Leader and Chelsea Standard. Ad topics correspond to the monthly tip or message in the 2012 Watershed Community Calendar and are available in custom sizes and formats upon request.
- January/Tap Into Savings/Water Conservation (pdf)
- February/Report Jerks/Illegal Dumping (pdf)
- March/Scoop Poop/Pet Waste (pdf)
- April/Use Only Phosphorus-Free/Fertilizer (pdf)
- May/Plant Michiganders/Native Plants, Rain Barrels (pdf)
- June/Know Toxics/Home Toxics Disposal (pdf)
- July/Do It On The Grass/Pet Waste (pdf)
- August/Sprinkle When the Sun Don’t Shine/Water Conservation (pdf)
- September/Watch Runoff/General Stormdrain Awareness (pdf)
- October/Mulch More/Fall Leaf Disposal (pdf)
- November/Don’t Flush/Prescription Disposal (pdf)
- December/Salt Less/River Friendly Snow Removal (pdf)
H2O Heroes Web Page, www.hrwc.org/h2oheroes – The main entry for HRWC’s pages with homeowner tips and tools on the following topics: Capture Rain Water at Home, Save Water Save Energy, Prevent Water Pollution. NEW IN 2014, Be Waterfront Wise.
Watershed Community Calendar – The stormwater pollution prevention calendar produced by the Washtenaw SAG, the Livingston Watershed Advisory Group and other communities.
- Huron River Watershed 2015 Mini Calendar 3MB Low Res Screen Version (pdf)
- Ideas for Distributing the 2015 Mini Calendar (pdf)
- 2015 Mini Calendar Cover (jpeg)
- About the Calendar (hrwc.org blog)
- 2014 Community Calendar 5MB Low Res Screen Version (pdf)
- 2014 Community Calendar Cover Medium Res (jpeg)
- 2014 Community Calendar Lo Res (jpeg)
- Hero Handbook High Res Print Version (pdf)
- Hero Handbook Lo Res Screen Version (pdf)
- 2014 Calendar Facts (docx)
- Ideas for Distributing the 2014 Calendar (docx)
Public Education Resources (from other stormwater management programs)
- Stormwater Training for Restaurant Employees, a flash video from Project Clean Water, San Diego, CA.